January 18, 2014

Planning to Fail?

Today is my initial weigh-in to start my weight loss journey.  I'll be tracking my progression on my Weight Loss Progress page.  The starting number is 280.2 lbs.  It occurs to me that 180 lbs is just inside the normal weight for my height and I haven't been there since 1979.  So my goal is to lose 100 lbs.  Or in my case I choose to lose 10 lbs, ten times.

I have a weight thermometer in the sidebar to graphically track my progress and you can see that there are 10 gradients each representing 10 lbs of weight loss.  It seems simple enough I just have to lose 10 lbs.  Ok, I have to do it ten times... Still I'm sure many of us could look at the goal of losing 10 lbs and know in our hearts that this is something we could do.

Even a 10 lb weight loss goal requires planning. Here is some background. My job is mostly behind a desk for 12 hours at a time. During this 12 hours I am faced with a well stocked honor bar similar to the one pictured, but much more elaborate with the prices being dirt cheap because it is run by volunteers and everything is purchased in bulk.

This means I have to have a plan to keep these tempting items at bay. Fortunately I do have access to a refrigerator/freezer here also. This means that I can either bring items with me from home or use the frig and purchase an assortment of frozen dinners, healthy snacks and fresh produce to keep this monster at bay. I'll let you know next week what I tried and see if it worked.

No comments: